Submitted by Prakash Sharma on Thu, 04/22/2010 – 09:58
U.S. Food and Drug Administration has updated the consumers and has advised the dog owners to not to give bones to their pets. It can account to injuries in the pets, leading to death.
It has been commented by Carmela Stamper, D.V.M. and a veterinarian in the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the Food and Drug Administration that giving bones is a dangerous practice and no matter what the size of the bones is, it can lead to drastic outcomes. She is urging people to come out of their myth of giving bones to dogs.
The FDA has said that bones can cause broken teeth, mouth or tongue wounds. If the lower jaw of your dog is hurt then it can lead to an expensive trip to the doctors and in addition, it will be very painful for the dog. The bones can jam the tube, thorough which food reaches the stomach or it can also get stuck in the wind pipe of the dog, causing breathing issues.
Bones may even get jammed up in stomach which will make it difficult to pass it out to the intestines, causing blockage and constipation. It could also cause bacterial infection like peritonitis.
Dr. Stamper said, “Talk with your veterinarian about alternatives to giving bones to your dog”.